Everyone is aware of the huge increase in the cost of living at the moment. Sadly we are not exempt from these increases. Increases in fuel and energy prices (ours have over trebled May 2021 – £350 electricity bill, May 2022 £1104!), rises in employment costs and the effects of Covid are just some of the pressures on price. The war in the Ukraine is an additional element that particularly effects some of our most popular products, wild bird foods. Anything containing sunflower seed has seen massive increases in wholesale price as supplies from this region disappear. 80% of sunflower seed comes from the Ukraine. With these supplies seriously curtailed, demand on the remaining 20% of world supply has been at levels that have inevitably driven up the price. Despite all these pressures our products remain much lower that those found in chains such as Pets At Home.
Some price comparison examples are
- Wild Bird Seed 2kg bag. Pets at Home price £4.29, Angell Pets price £2.69. Saving £1.60 per bag.
- Wild Bird Seed 20kg sack. Pets at Home price £24.99, Angell Pets price £17.99. Saving £7 a sack.
- Sunflower Hearts 2kg bag. Pets at Home price £10.99. Angell Pets price £6.49. Saving £4.50 per bag.
- Sunflower Hearts 13kg sack. Pets at Home price £39.99 (for only 12.75kg). Angell Pets price £29.99. Saving £10 for a larger sack.
- Peanuts 2kg bag. Pets at Home price £8.99. Angell Pets price £5.69. Saving £3.30 per bag.
- Dried Mealworms 500g bag. Pets at Home price £14.99. Angell Pets price £9.49. Saving £5.50 per bag.
- (Price comparison carried out 25/07/22 between Pets at Home website and Angell Pets website angellpets.co.uk and in store pricing.)
So even though global pressure has resulted in price increases recently, the good news is that despite this and despite us not having the buying power of the large chains, we have still been able to compete on price and in many cases massively out perform them.
So you could drive a few miles, using up your very expensive fuel to shop at an expensive out of town chain store. Alternatively you could stay local and use an independent, family run store, staffed by people who know the products and can give expert advice and pay significantly less into the bargain
I delivered an order this evening to one of our oldest customers (FREE local delivery on orders over £10). By using us instead of a chain store she saved herself £30 and received an extra 750g delivered to her door, so no fuel costs. Seems like a no brainer to me but hey! I’m biased I guess.
If you wish to place an order just call us on 01452501882 for FREE local delivery or order on line for in store collection. Of course we would love to see you in store in person too.
The Angell Pets Team